Saturday, July 14, 2012


Alexander Inge 1928 - 2012


“Every man dies, not every man lives… Those who lived amazing lives will be looked after when they leave.”
Today my grandfather passed away at the age of 84.
For the last 10 years he has been battling dementia, so in a way it is a relief that he is no longer struggling.
My Grandpa was someone I had an immense ammount of respect for.
As a boy he experienced a world no boy should, his family were run out of their home in Latvia during WW2 by Nazi’s. They experienced poverty and ran and hid for their lives. I have heard so many horrific stories of what he witnessed in that time.
He moved to Australia after WW2 with his brother from Latvia with nothing, and together they created an empire. They were seen as post war immigrations success stories within Europe and a thing that Lativian’s aspired to be. 
He lost his younger brother when he was in his 20’s.
He had experienced betrayal in it’s worst form.
He was an artist, and has created many beautiful sculptures.
He was a gentleman.
He was kind.
He was generous.
He was modest.
I am so proud and honored to be his granddaughter, to be able to say that my grandfather lost everything, came from nothing and created something - it will always inspire me and encourage me when the chips are down. 
I will never forget the last days with him, how it seemed that I was the only person who could make him smile and bring a bit of life back into him, how he sang and I danced in the hospital room and how after months of not remembering, he remembered our secret handshake we used to do. 
I love you Grandpa, I’ll see you soon. xo

1 comment:

  1. Awesome blog! would you mind following each other via bloglovin? x

    /Malin @ http://fashionfied.tk

    ReplyDelete